photo shop_zps4e91b29b.jpg  photo about_zpsab9889c9.jpg  photo contact_zpsf03ef059.jpg  photo Untitled-2_zps43e03738.jpg

Friday 31 January 2014

The Death of a Shoe

On my first day of uni we were all taken into a room full of shoes and asked to pick one to take apart. To my flatmate Ari's horror, I chose a sneaker made by the brand GUESS (she's a Guess addict and almost cried when she saw the corpse of what once was a Guess shoe).

Taking the shoe apart was very eye opening, I discovered so many hidden parts that keep the shoe together, stable and comfortable.

Here's some pictures I took for my tech file. If you're squeamish about dismembered shoes then look away now.



10 comments:

  1. That's really cool! I sew so I understand clothing construction, but it seems like such a huge jump to shoe construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a huge jump! I majorly underestimated all the parts and processes that go into making a shoe at first. It's a timely process to make a shoe. I feel like I may as well be getting an engineering degree haha

      Delete
  2. I remember doing this with a bag in the 1st year, was so surprised how much of it had card in it!
    There are a lot of components in a shoe, didn't realise!
    Will email you this weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if accessories students had to do the same. Hope you're well lovely, will email you soon xxx

      Delete
  3. Whoa... that's so cool!! And it's awesome that you can take apart something that you spend so much time creating :)

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I never realized so much went into a shoe!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I think it was a good first project to do, because it made me realise exactly how complicated a shoe is.

      Delete
  5. this is cool!! I work in accessories so I know about constructions on handbags and wallets but it's fun to see a shoe deconstructed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet handbag construction is another one that's much more complex than it looks too!

      Delete