photo shop_zps4e91b29b.jpg  photo about_zpsab9889c9.jpg  photo contact_zpsf03ef059.jpg  photo Untitled-2_zps43e03738.jpg

Sunday 2 December 2012

Vegan Lemon Curd


Lemon curd is one of those foods that makes me feel nostalgic. I remember making lemon curd tarts with my mum as a child. I'd always eat most of the lemon curd before we got around to putting it in the tarts.

Of course, being vegan these days I can't just go to a shop and buy lemon curd, so I taught myself to make it. 
I love how indulgent it tastes and how the zingyness of the lemon cuts through the creamyness of the coconut cream.

This recipe is for a sour, tart curd, just how I like it. If you have a sweeter tooth reduce the lemon juice by half a cup.

Ingredients:
1 & 3/4 cups lemon juice
The zest of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut cream or thick coconut milk
2 tbsp dairy free butter/margarine
3tbsp cornflour

Method:
  1. In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
  2. Gradually sift in the corflour, while stirring the mixture.
  3. Heat until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
  4. Add the coconut cream & dairy free butter.
  5. Continue to heat and stir until the mixture can coat the back of the spoon.
  6. Remove from the heat, place in a heatproof container and allow to cool.
  7. Refrigerate once the mixture has fully cooled.
What's your favorite use for lemon curd? I'm working on my pastry recipe so I can bring you some lemon curd & jam tart recipes in the near future :)
I'll be posting my Blueberry curd recipe next Sunday too!






3 comments:

  1. Yuuuuum this sounds so delicious. I'm really impressed with all of the vegan recipes I've been coming across lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love lemon curd! I basically lived on lemon curd on toast as a student, it was the perfect cheap dessert! Haha. Will have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday morning I could not shut up about wanting lemon curd! I'm making this asap!

    ReplyDelete